I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Internet dream.
I have a dream that one day the TV will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “ To spread content unchained, ungarnished through the Internet is self-evident: so that all users can enjoy it equally”.
I have a dream that one day on the savannah´s of Africa the children will be able to sit down with their facebook buddies from Norway and together at the TV table of brotherhood watch their favorite channels together in real time.
I have a dream that my three children will one day live in a world without DRM borders and disturbing copyrights where they will not be judged by their current whereabouts or the device in their hand, but by the will and interest of their character.
I have a dream today.
TV is today the only thing left that needs a good overhaul, the possibilities are endless but old interests are still blocking its advancement. However evolution is inevitable and change is coming. VOD has shown an ambition to walk the right path, but live TV is still very limited. This is my dream:
- No more copyright bureaucracy. The range of channels is endless, if you want to watch Channel 3 from Brazil, and you are in Sweden, you can do that through the Internet. Your location on the planet is not an issue any more.
- You can view the same content through any device, mobile, iPads, TVs etc. No more “This content cannot be viewed on your device”.
- Spotify for TV – and more. You pay only for those channels and/or shows you want to see. No more 40 channels extra that you don’t want to watch.
- Shows are more focused on two-way communication. You have social awareness, if possible in every show to some limit, the public can push the show in certain directions in real time. More connected. More creative.
- Connected with all the big VOD services like Netflix, all old content and new content available directly, not just season one and two.
- The TV device can be controlled through touch, voice and movement. Impossible is nothing.
- Best video and audio quality possible, no more LOW RES video and STEREO audio. UltraHD if you choose with 7:2 audio.
And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it stream from every home and every mountain, from every state and every city, we will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, ”Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”